Originally built late 1800s as Humphrey’s Bending Works, the elevator started as an iron foundry supplying barrel stays for the barrel cooper. It was sold to F. A. Denman who converted it to a flour mill around 1900. Grain and flour was transported via the railroad to lake ports and trading posts as well as serving the nearby communities.
The rear of the property housed the railroad coal supply, where the train would stop, load coal and fire up the locomotive. The building caught fire around 1910 and was reconstructed in part using material from the Bright House, a hotel, ballroom built around 1848. The Bright House was torn down but the massive oak beams you see today were saved and reused on the elevator building.
It served as a grain elevator for most of the 1900s, until the late 1960s when the railroad no longer existed. Passing through a couple more owners, it is now owned and operated by Jeff and Darlene Krieger. Housing eclectic history pieces in the event room, the rustic charm of “times gone by” comes to mind as patrons walk through the door. A craft beer and wine bar graces the west end of the building that was formerly a “lean to” and the weight/scales is now enjoyed as a covered patio area.